Monday, August 12, 2013

Day Two With Mom--Boulder

Early Friday morning my mom and I walked a few blocks, took a shuttle and then hopped on a bus in order to get down to Boulder.  The family I babysit for was nice enough to loan my mom an extra bike of theirs for the day.  I was beyond excited to show my mom around Boulder on bike.  After visiting a few of my favorite places, my mom and I rented a car for an hour to drive up the mountain for a good view. 
About to get on our bikes for a ride around town.
View from the top of Flagstaff Rd. in Boulder
My favorite part of the trip had to be Friday night.  I had bought tickets for an event at Chautauqua Amphitheater, a 115-year-old wooden auditorium.   The night started with a “Taste of Boulder”—three tents filled with beer, wine and food samples from local businesses.  Don’t even ask how many times Mom and I went back to the wine and dessert table….   After grabbing a bite to eat, we went inside the amphitheater to watch Joshua Radin, an amazing acoustic artist.  His music usually consists of just him and his guitarist but we had a special treat Friday night.  The concert was a mash-up in which Josh was accompanied by Time for Three (a classically trained garage band) and a 50 member orchestra.  It sounded amazing!! 
Taste of Boulder
Chautauqua Amphitheater 
As my mom was packing up to catch her Saturday night flight, I asked her what she thought of her trip.  Her answer---“It was sooo HOT!!”  It is usually in the high 70’s/low 80’s with an afternoon thunderstorm.  Of course it was unusually hot the two days my mom was here.  I kept telling her the heat was not normal but she did not believe me.  Until….We took the bus to the airport for her 8:00pm flight.  I looked up at the sign and saw DELAYED.  Her flight was moved to 10:30pm.  Then 11:30pm.  Finally Southwest cancelled the flight altogether.  Why was the flight cancelled???  Because 5 tornados had touched down that evening and many counties were under tornado or severe thunderstorm/flood watch.  One minute it was sunny and hot, the next minute there was an intense storm.   Although my mom was not happy to have to reschedule her flight home, I am glad she got to experience true CO weather before she left.  I wonder if the first thing she will tell everyone now is that is was “sooo HOT!”????   

No comments:

Post a Comment